Animal Control

If you are experiencing an Animal Control issue, please call our nonemergency line at 817-275-1234 option 1 so our dispatchers can assist you. The city only handles certain issues with domesticated cats and dogs. Residents will need to call a wildlife service for matters dealing with wildlife.


Animal Tag Program

We have implemented an Animal Tag Program within our city. Please come to the dispatch window anytime to fill out an animal information form and be assigned a tag. Place the tag on your animal's collar for easy identification by our staff so we can work to get your pets home safely should the need arise.


Where can I find information about Wildlife?

Texas parks and wildlife has a web site that contains fact sheets on the following: Amphibians / Birds / Fish / Invertebrates /Mammals / Plants /Reptiles .


I found injured wildlife, what do I do?

Call Texas Metro Wildlife Rehabilitators 1-972-234-9453


My animal was impounded. What happens next?

The City does attempt to check to see if an anima is chipped as our goal is to reunite animals with owners. We do also post on social media in an attempt to reunite. However, if we cannot find an owner, the City takes impounded animals to the Humane Society of North Texas, 1840 E Lancaster Ave, Fort Worth Texas 817-332-4768; . 


Area Animal Shelters

Ft Worth – 817-392-1234

Arlington Animal Services - 817-459-5898

Pantego – 817-617-3700



To contact a wildlife specialist

Nuisance Wildlife Page:

Urban Coyotes:

Let Wildlife Be Wild! Studies have shown that relocated animals rarely survive more than two weeks. The relocated animal that is unfamiliar with its new surroundings usually dies of starvation, from injuries inflicted by other wildlife, or other dire circumstances.

A proactive approach is recommended towards wildlife. Preventing wild animals from becoming accustomed to people is the first step in reducing human/wildlife interactions. Wildlife will continue to come to people’s homes as long as there is food, water or shelter for them.

There are three main reasons why trapping does not work: the vacuum effect, the availability of resources, and nature's ability to adapt.

Vacuum Effect

Trapping and removal of wildlife has proven to be ineffective. One of the main reasons is called the vacuum effect, which is simply when you remove an animal, then the next night another animal takes its place.

Availability of Resources

The availability of resources is another reason wildlife may be in your neighborhood. Areas underneath sheds, decks, or brush make great homes for many of our wild neighbors. Bird feeders, uncovered trash, vegetable gardens, or pet food that has been left outside provide food for many species.

Nature will Adapt

Research has found that wildlife will adapt when resources are available in a habitat. Litters are bigger, more of the offspring survive, and the numbers return to normal within a year or less.